Sunday, September 11, 2011

Adjustments and Joys

I've woken up in Tokyo 3 times now. Life here is good!

Joys:

Dear people have cooked me dinner/had me over to celebrate their birthdays every night since I've been in Japan.

I rode from the airport for the first time by car and got to see a beautiful sunset along the rice paddies.

I've been borrowing a bike and will get my own soon (pictures to come.)

I saw many of my old neighbors, friends, co-workers, students. They greet me so warmly and I love being with them again!

Little Adjustments:

The humidity. My friend said it was much worse last week, but I went running at 5 am and was embarrassingly moist.

The language. On the aforementioned run, I said "good morning" to the first passerby. I've now got "ohayo gozaimasu" down in the quick mumble-like way most Japanese people say to each other. Overall, I have a lot of work to do.

The food. We had an awesome meal, sukiyaki, but I was the only one that didn't dip my meat and vegetables in raw egg. I wanted to try it, but I chickened out. Someday :)

1 comment:

Arijaan said...

Aw, yay - a blog post!! This was SO great to read, love that you're biking and had to laugh about the raw egg. . .you have time to work up to it :) xoxo